Logic Puzzle Forums

Logic Puzzle Forums (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/index.php)
-   Comments, Bugs and Feature Requests (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Time to study the puzzle (http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=779)

gouda 02-07-2015 07:56 AM

Time to study the puzzle

Two requests:

1. Put the Backstory and Goal on the page WITH the start button, so we get a chance to see the names & numbers before the timer starts. Nobody who cares about time is reading those with the timer running, so it's wasted where it is.

2. Give us a copy of the puzzle and clues on the stats page after we click submit. I'm interested in improving my skills and it would be helpful to have a chance to review what I just did - again, without the timer running.

lemur 09-25-2015 08:52 AM

Totally agree on the backstory.

Manojrk 09-25-2015 01:46 PM

+1.

PS: Add a way to vote to posts.

ambrosia831 09-26-2015 12:16 AM

Totally agree with both of your points, gouda!

zenobia43 09-26-2015 12:45 PM

I like both suggestions, but I see a potential problem with the first.

If one could see the backstory before committing to the game, they could limit their choices to a single backstory and therefore a very limited subset of puzzles in the collection for a particular size and difficulty.

Using only the size and difficulty, there are probably around 2,000 puzzles in each combination.

If there are 100 backstories, and if they are evenly distributed across the puzzles in a given combination, there might only be 20 puzzles with that backstory.

It would certainly be pretty boring and time consuming to search for puzzles that matched the preferred backstory, but once found, the resulting puzzle wouldn't be very difficult to solve if you've seen that same one many times.

However, what if there was an intermediate page between starting the puzzle and seeing the entire grid and clues? If you abandoned the puzzle at that point, it would count as an unsolved puzzle. If you continued, then you would get to study the backstory without the timer running before seeing the rest of the puzzle.

The intermediate page could be optional and handled with a preference.

I like the second suggestion too. So many times I've wanted to see the puzzle after the solution page appeared.

I take a screen shot if I get stuck. But sometimes I get lucky with a solution, and the puzzle is gone. I could see having a button under the statistics table that would pop a window showing the submitted solution and clues.

ambrosia831 09-26-2015 06:22 PM

Nice! I like the concept of an intermediate screen to keep things honest.

stinkbug 10-03-2015 06:40 PM

I completely agree on getting to read the story ahead of time. An intermediary page is fine with me. I generally ignore the backstory entirely for sake of time, but some puzzles, I have to figure out what names are what before I can start making sense of the clues.

jeffnn 04-01-2016 07:35 AM

Already multiple threads discussing these

Quote:

Originally Posted by gouda (Post 3028)
Two requests:

1. Put the Backstory and Goal on the page WITH the start button, so we get a chance to see the names & numbers before the timer starts. Nobody who cares about time is reading those with the timer running, so it's wasted where it is.

2. Give us a copy of the puzzle and clues on the stats page after we click submit. I'm interested in improving my skills and it would be helpful to have a chance to review what I just did - again, without the timer running.

Have to search for them though.

Bobbiecat2 05-05-2016 10:30 AM

Totally agree with both of your suggestions!

SevenDeadlySquids 05-06-2016 09:33 AM

Interestingly enough, I'm pretty sure it used to be possible to look at the background before beginning. This was about one or two years ago. I'm not sure why they changed it.