Old 04-17-2017, 08:03 AM

Default Tectonic number grid

Hi, stuck with this one, need the next logical statement to continue solving.
Rules are, each heavily outlined box must contain numbers (depending on how many boxes in each set) e.g. The single box only contains a 1. No two similar numbers can be placed adjacent or diagonally. The large numbers are pre-placed, the smaller ones are those I have already entered. Cant figure the next step. Any ideas please?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:04 AM

I didn't spend much time on this, but I figured out your next step, at least. I tried placing a 5 in the second column directly above the 1:

I've placed the 5 in the left image as a test. It's placement forces where the rest of the 5s will go (see the right image).

After all the 5s are placed, there are 2 regions near the top that contain both a 3 and a 5. So, the remaining possibilities are 1,2, and 4. I used pencil marks to show where 1, 2, and 4 can go in those regions.

Now, look at the circle I made with red. It can't be a 2 or 4 because the region above it has 2 and 4 in such a way as to prevent it. It can't be 1 or 5, because this region already has them. It can't be a 3, because there is a 3 north of it. So, we have a conflict. My original 5 placement was incorrect. I should have put a 4 there instead.

Last edited by uigrad; 04-17-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 AM

Looking at the box of 4 in the top left corner, the bottom right square can only be 2 or 4. This means that 5 must be in one of the two lower empty squares in the box of 5 in the top right. This means that in the box of 5 that touches both of those, the upper right square cannot be a 5. Because the bottom center and bottom right squares are diagonal/adjacent to the 5 from another box already, this means that the 5 in that box must be in the bottom left square.

I hope this makes sense/helps! Good luck with the puzzle!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:04 AM

In reply to uigrad, having substituted your green 5 for a 4, I then cant be certain where the next 4 goes!
In reply to aceinnatailsuit, Yes, you're correct about the 2&4 well spotted,
if a 2 or a 4 are placed in the btm right of the box of 4, a 2 or a 4 would then have to be in the top right box leaving a 5 in either of the other two. A 5 placed in either would require the box in row 4 on the left to be a 5.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:15 PM

Ok, I just solved the rest of it for you.

top left green: This is the stuff we already figured out.
top left red: pencil marks for the remaining values (1,2,4)
top left blue 5: This spot can't be 1,2, or 4 because it would conflict with a red number. It can't be 3, because it would conflict with the black 3. So, it must be 5.
top left blue circles: One of these must be a 2, because we need a 2 in that region. So, any space that touches both circles cannot be a 2.

top right red 4: It can't be a 2, we just explained why. The only remaining possibility is 4.
top right blue 4s: forced by the red 4.
top right blue 1: only remaining spot for a 1
top right yellow 2/3: only remaining spots for 2/3
top right yellow 4/2: only remaining spots

bottom left red 2: we already have neighbors that are 1,3,4. Must be 2.
bottom left red 5: only remaining place for a 5 in this region
bottom left blue 1/2: only remaining places in region

bottom right red: only remaining places in region for these numbers.

Last edited by uigrad; 04-17-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:55 PM

Wow, thats great, thanks for all your hard work. Can I ask what software you are using to make your illustrations?
I thought I'd completed it before you replied & looked at the solution to find I'd made an error. I'll study your walkthrough to see where I went wrong.
Again, thanks for all your hard work.
If you'd like any more of these type puzzles they are from an online magazine subscription service called "Readly" & theres a free 1 month trial available.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:09 PM

Software? I didn't have anything fancy. I just used the text tool from pinta:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinta_(software)
Old 04-17-2017, 01:57 PM

Pinta! Not familiar, pc only by the look of things, tend to use ipad for most of my computing needs now, will give it a try next time Im on the Computer.
Thanks.