Old 05-16-2016, 10:01 AM

How does one come across the same puzzles? It does not happen for me. Is it due to playing a large volume of games in the same category and grid size?
Old 05-16-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvmaxwell View Post
How does one come across the same puzzles? It does not happen for me. Is it due to playing a large volume of games in the same category and grid size?
Yes, you have to play a large number of puzzles of the same size and difficulty.

This month, I've done 220 puzzles that are 4x5 moderate difficulty. My guess is that there are somewhere between 5000 and 50,000 puzzles in this category, so by only doing 220 in the month, I've only seen the same puzzle a few times.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:07 PM

I seem to get groups of puzzles that I've played before, based on when I see comments from myself (Disclaimer - this might be a human's selective memory speaking). I've played ~100 this month, and I'd estimate that ~20 of them had a comment on it from a prior time I've done the puzzle. Keep in mind this is a low-volume month for me though.

I bought the iPad puzzle baron app, and as long as I put a month or two between when I look at the puzzles again, I don't remember them.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:28 AM

Default Time and puzzles in between

I have gotten the same puzzle multiple times myself, and even during the periods when I was playing the most, it didn't help because there are so many puzzles that usually there is so much time and so many puzzles done in between seeing the same puzzle again that it is not going to stick in your mind. The old site had so many fewer puzzles that it was possible that this was happening (at least with patterns) but I doubt it is happening frequently with the current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Monster View Post
I'll respectfully disagree with you on the eidetic memory requirement. Often I see people post 3 or 4 comments on the same puzzle, meaning they've done it at least that many times. If they simply remembered the flavor of the football cake or which reactor was a fusor type, they would be able to fill the grid in more quickly.

While familiarity with the puzzle may not be required for some people to get those 30 second times, I still believe that many people get those short solving times after having seen the puzzle more than once.

Anyway, apologies for causing topic drift in this thread. Really, I only wanted to support the idea of having a "pre-page" with the backstory on it so that we can enjoy it outside the time we're competing to solve the puzzle. I think that's a fine idea.

- = M = -
Old 06-02-2016, 06:35 AM

Thumbs up Love that idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by uigrad View Post
I've had some sub-30 times on the 3x4 puzzles, and sub-50 times on 4x5 puzzles. I don't know the lower limit for times on the larger puzzles, but it's 50s for the 4x5.

Back to the original discussion, I don't think that reading the backstory is necessary at all for getting good times. I would like it if someone compiled all the backstories and posted them somewhere just so I can read them all, because I obviously have no chance to read them while solving. Sometimes, if there's a lot of network lag, I have time to read the backstory while waiting for the submit button to work, but it's pretty sad that this is necessary. Why even bother writing the backstories if the players don't have time to read them?
That is a great solution for the issue.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:49 AM

+1 to this idea. I've never posted on here, but I just submitted this as a comment off the main page, and only then thought to check the forums. I never read the backstory unless i've screwed up a puzzle so badly that I don't care about my time anymore, but when I do get the chance to read them I enjoy it. This should be a really easy thing to implement, I can't believe it hasn't happened yet in the two years since the original post.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcuser View Post
I haven't spent that much time on the new format puzzles, but the old format was such that I could recognize underlying patterns in puzzles to the point that I never had to read the clues except for the first particular kind of clue to immediately solve the puzzles. It helped that I had a degree in theoretical math and was skilled at seeing patterns in abstract sets and forms. Remember that there are only a finite number of patterns in the solutions of these puzzles. If you find that pattern, you can do likewise, though it can get boring...
I got to the point where I could do it on the old site as well but there were less puzzle and they were usually simpler.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:25 PM

I don't know how much people care about reading the backstories or not. I started collecting them a couple days ago as I was doing puzzles, and I've put the ones I've gotten so far here:

https://pastebin.com/Brh5eqjc

I haven't gotten many duplicates yet -- maybe only about 3 or 4. So, the backstories in my list is far fewer than the total number of backstories.

If several people here find this useful, I'll keep saving backstories, and I'll use "sort -u" next time to remove duplicates. If no one cares, then I won't bother. Saving the backstories costs me valuable seconds!!

Last edited by uigrad; 06-22-2017 at 12:28 PM.