Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 AM

Smile Errata Sheet for Vol 1?

Is there an errata sheet for Logic Puzzles Vol 1 which lists printing errors and clue omissions for the puzzles in this book? For example, I have found the following:

P. 97, Buy Low, Sell High - No clue to distinguish between Derrick/Scott and Pharm/Manufacturing
P. 143, The Dart Toss - Clue 5 should read "least" instead of "last."
P. 198, Ticket Sales - Are there clues missing? I can't seem to solve.

Is there a list of corrections for Vol 1 somewhere? If not, can anyone help with the solutions to the puzzles on p. 97 and p. 198?

Many thanks!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:42 AM

I, too, have found multiple solutions to puzzle 198 - Ticket Sales.

If the performance at the Gibson Theater is presumed to be on Thursday (not Saturday, as in the solution in the back), there are two possible solutions:

0..Wednesday....Komedie Kiev....Roxie or Porter
2......Friday...........Music Ally...........Burdette
4....Saturday..........Old Siam.......Porter or Roxie
6....Thursday........Aunt Agony...........Gibson
8.....Sunday.........Two Towers............Grand

Last edited by collinsm22; 11-22-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:50 PM

If it's not too much trouble, could you post the clues for puzzle 198 (Ticket Sales)?

When there are two solutions with the pattern you described, sometimes it is because a single unnoticed negative was hidden in a clue.

I can get the labels from your post. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:09 AM

Default P97 Buy low, sell high

Did anyone ever find if there was a missing clue?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:34 PM

If you have the clues for puzzle 198, could you post them here?

Some of the clues in the books are worded something like this:

The person who arrived on Monday, who didn't like spaghetti, arrived earlier than the person with the blue shirt.

I made this pretty obvious by including the "who didn't like spaghetti" phrase, but in the book, this extra clue might be harder to spot.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenia View Post

The person who arrived on Monday, who didn't like spaghetti, arrived earlier than the person with the blue shirt.

I made this pretty obvious by including the "who didn't like spaghetti" phrase, but in the book, this extra clue might be harder to spot.
Hi Serenia

The puzzle on P198 is about ticket sales.

Is this spaghetti example from another puzzle?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenia View Post

Happened to have my copy of Vol. 1 handy, so had a gander at the clues. Complex clues and potentially relevant asides are bolded.

1. Old Siam doesn't have the most open seats available and doesn't show on Wednesday. Wednesday's show has two fewer open seats compared to Music Ally.
2. Of Aunt Agony and Saturday's show, one has four open seats available and the other plays at the Gibson Theater.
3. Sunday's show (which isn't at the Roxie Theater) has the most open seats available of all five shows.
4. The Gibson Theater shows its performances either on Thursdays or Saturdays.
5. Of Komedie Kiev and the show performing at the Burdette Theater, one shows on Friday and the other is completely sold out - not a single ticket available.
6. The Porter Theater never has performances on Thursdays.
7. Aunt Agony isn't playing at either the Roxie or Burdette Theaters.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 PM

Thanks, Ace - that's perfect.

The good news is that we have the clues. The bad news is that I couldn't even get more than one greenie. There sure is a lot of white space.

Was there an implicit or explicit clue in the backstory paragraph?

I checked the references in the clues to see if at least 4 of the 5 category options were covered, and that looked OK.

I'm missing about three negative relations. I have seven cases where there are only two choices left. So I must have missed something - or we're still missing some clues.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:01 PM

Now I have a copy of Volume 1, and there are only 7 clues just like Ace showed us. I couldn't find any other hidden clues in the backstory paragraph either.

So there are lots of solutions.

I will change one of the clues and add an eighth clue to get a unique solution:

1. Old Siam doesn't have the most open seats available and doesn't show on Wednesday. Wednesday's show has two fewer open seats compared to Music Ally.
2. Of Aunt Agony and Saturday's show, one has four open seats available and the other plays at the Gibson Theater.
3. Sunday's show (which isn't at the Roxie Theater) has the most open seats available of all five shows.
4. The Gibson Theater shows its performances either on Thursdays or Saturdays.
5. Of Komedie Kiev and the show performing at the Burdette Theater (which has fewer open seats than the Grand Theater), one shows on Friday and the other is completely sold out - not a single ticket available.
6. The Porter Theater never has performances on Thursdays.
7. Aunt Agony isn't playing at either the Roxie or Burdette Theaters.
8. The five shows are Music Ally, Old Siam, the one showing at the Roxie, the one showing on Saturday, and the one with four open seats.

I tried to come up with clue modifications that would preserve the difficulty level of the puzzle. It looked to me like at least one aligned pseudo-pair was involved.

If anyone is still working on this one, I hope this helps, and I'll take a look at those other puzzles that seemed to be missing a clue now that I have the book.

Last edited by serenia; 03-03-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Add comment about difficulty level.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:56 PM

The puzzle on page 97 also appears to be missing a clue as spudkitty pointed out in 2014.

This is a 4x5 puzzle.

Share Value: $0.75, $1.00, $1.25, $1.50, $1.75
Investor: Brett, Connor, Derrick, Leslie, Scott
Stock Symbol: AMBR, CFWT, GGML, HOPN, TLVU
Sector: Energy, Financial, Manufacturing, Pharmaceutical, Technology

1. The five investors are Brett, Connor, the one who recommended HOPN, the one whose stock pick is currently valued at $1.50, and the one whose pick-of-the-week is in the pharmaceutical sector.

2. Brett's stock is valued 25 lower than GGML.

3. Scott's pick-of-the-week is in either the manufacturing or pharmaceutical sector.

4. Derrick's stock is valued 25 lower than Brett's.

5. Of GGML and the stock Connor recommended (which isn't in the technology sector), one has the highest per-share value, and the other is a financial-sector stock.

6. The stock with the highest per-share value is neither AMBR nor CFWT. CFWT isn't currently valued at a dollar per share.

7. Either Leslie or Connor recommended the financial-sector stock.

These seven clues did not produce a unique solution for me, but if I add an eighth clue like this:

8. The stock in the pharmaceutical sector has a greater value than HOPN.

.. and use one of the more advanced solving techniques in the Value/Investor sub-grid, the unique solution appears. And it actually matches the solution at the back of the book.