Old 12-11-2016, 03:03 PM

Angry [my bad, no bug] Incorect clue

EDIT: My bad, did not read the clues carefully
----------
I was solving http://www.logic-puzzles.org/game.ph...0c0254275e34af and gone up to this situation. I used a hint and got a clue as in the screenshot. The problem is, the clue is wrong. Logically thinking, if Francis is neither June 11 nor Quimby, then id does NOT mean, that June 11 and Quimby are explicitly defined as separate entities, because it could be someone else that arrives at Quimby on June 11. The clue is incorrect.

Last edited by burtek; 12-11-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: my bad
Old 12-12-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtek View Post
Logically thinking, if Francis is neither June 11 nor Quimby, then id does NOT mean, that June 11 and Quimby are explicitly defined as separate entities...
This has been discussed here several times. It's a case where our language is imprecise. When you play puzzles at this logic-puzzles.org, that clue does mean that all 3 entities are separate.

Other publishers of puzzles do use that same type of speech differently, but here, it means that A is not B, A is not C, and B is not C.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uigrad View Post
This has been discussed here several times. It's a case where our language is imprecise. When you play puzzles at this logic-puzzles.org, that clue does mean that all 3 entities are separate.

Other publishers of puzzles do use that same type of speech differently, but here, it means that A is not B, A is not C, and B is not C.
That's absurd. The puzzle generator has a category where it says that all the items are different. If what you are saying is true then I'll have to give up on this website since the clues can't be trusted.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:09 AM

Smile Hey

I labored under that impression for several years. I studied logic along with math and I always was taught your way. I usually try to figure puzzles out without help to learn and gain speed. One day I asked for a hint to learn how that worked. I may have been experimenting offline. I told admin that they had an invalid clue. I was told what you were told. I simply started doing it their way and in short order, I was using that clue properly. I suddenly was able to solve them better. I still understand logic as you appear to. Keep playing as I have. I don't think you will find a better puzzle site.