Old 08-02-2017, 06:44 PM

Which half? The Jack or the coke?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:28 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlane44 View Post
Which half? The Jack or the coke?
I do tend to pour a little heavy so there's not as much coke as one would expect.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:56 AM

Smile Hey

All this talk about cheating is interesting. There are multiple ways to cheat. I've developed them while not being logged in so as not to cheat others on the board. I started looking at ways to cheat after noticing that others were in fact cheating. There was also a way to do the old puzzles by rote and pattern recognition. I neither condone nor use the information I developed as that would disadvantage other players. However, I imagine there are those here who do cheat. Simply play against yourself and the rest doesn't really matter.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:46 AM

I honestly didn't know there was a way to cheat, although I DID think some of those record times were awfully fast. That being said, every one of MY times is how long it took me to legit solve it. I AM excited when my "score" is high, but I only record it when it is MY fastest time (it is just fun to me to see how the points I get for the times I get vary, so I record those, too). But in the end, I am just seeing if I can beat my own time. Y'all can cheat or not cheat.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 PM

I tend to get some of the fastest time in my favorite level. Cheating isn't necessary to get the best time. The more you do these puzzles, the faster you get.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:41 PM

Is it possible to cheat? Apparently.

Is it an interesting challenge to figure out how to cheat? Yes, for some people.

Is there any real point to cheating? Not really. It's not like there are any prizes given out. And once you figure out how to do it once, there's not any challenge in doing it again. Heck, some of the cheats probably take more effort than solving puzzles legitimately.

Are a few of the high scores due to cheating? Probably. But I know first hand that it's possible to get very fast times without cheating, so I don't find fast times suspicious.

Is cheating a big enough problem to be worth worrying about? I seriously doubt it. And quite frankly, if someone is so pathetic that they cheat enough to seriously affect the stats for the sake of some fake bragging rights, I'm inclined to pity them rather than get angry about it.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcuser View Post
...a way to do the old puzzles by rote and pattern recognition.
Back when I was doing puzzles every day, there was one puzzle in particular that I struggled with and tried to commit to memory one of the answers so that I could do it faster. It could fall in the realm of cheating but, for me, it was simply to get though that puzzle and on to ones that were more fun. I like challenging but that puzzle was just ridiculously difficult for me.

I would think it would take much more time to memorize all the puzzles in order to actually cheat than it would provide any real benefit. And, in my opinion, short of screen shotting every single puzzle, using your memory isn't really cheating. It's just kinda not cool to take the high score without actually solving the puzzle.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digited View Post
Back when I was doing puzzles every day, there was one puzzle in particular that I struggled with and tried to commit to memory one of the answers so that I could do it faster. It could fall in the realm of cheating but, for me, it was simply to get though that puzzle and on to ones that were more fun. I like challenging but that puzzle was just ridiculously difficult for me.

I would think it would take much more time to memorize all the puzzles in order to actually cheat than it would provide any real benefit. And, in my opinion, short of screen shotting every single puzzle, using your memory isn't really cheating. It's just kinda not cool to take the high score without actually solving the puzzle.
For what it's worth, there was a deep logic pattern I recognized and that's how I did it. A few others could do what I did, but I don't know how they came to it. If it was by memory, I'm impressed by their memorization...
Old 08-07-2017, 11:30 PM

That would definitely explain why some of your records are hard to beat, pcuser, 'cause I haven't found that pattern. The only pattern I've found is in the clue structure and it doesn't always work the same way but it has been helpful.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcuser View Post
For what it's worth, there was a deep logic pattern I recognized and that's how I did it. A few others could do what I did, but I don't know how they came to it. If it was by memory, I'm impressed by their memorization...
I wouldn't consider it cheating to have figured out the logic behind the puzzles