Old 09-02-2017, 01:15 PM

Default puzzle error

http://www.logic-puzzles.org/game.ph...c8a678d544c076

I ran out of clues to eliminate or fix boxes. I went over the clues multiple times but there weren't any clues for the boxes that were still open. So, I finally tried a hint, but that hint seemed to be a logical contradiction from the clue.

The hint was for clue #7 which is:

7. Neither the jigsaw puzzle with the rustic village theme nor the jigsaw puzzle released in 1982 is the jigsaw puzzle made by Astury.

So obviously:
Astury != rustic village
Astury != 1982

However, the hint stated that from #7 we could assume that rustic village and 1982 were not the same, in other words:
rustic village != 1982

This seems to be a logical error in the puzzle generator.

Last edited by scientia; 09-02-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Neither/Nor clues

Look at slide # 5 for a rationalization for all three entities being separate.

http://logic-puzzles.org/how-to-solv...ther-nor-clues

It is the convention for this site, and you can rely on consistency from puzzle to puzzle.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenia View Post
Look at slide # 5 for a rationalization for all three entities being separate.

http://logic-puzzles.org/how-to-solv...ther-nor-clues

It is the convention for this site, and you can rely on consistency from puzzle to puzzle.
Yes, I looked at it, but it's nothing but a flimsy rationalization.

Think of it this way... If the pink tattoo and the Pisces tattoo were the same tattoo, it would make no sense to use "neither/nor" in the clue - it would be like saying "Neither Bob nor Bob was the electrician."

It doesn't make sense in terms of normal word use or logic. It's an arbitrary rule. I can't use a website that makes up arbitrary rules about logic and meaning. And the fact that someone would make up such a ridiculous explanation rather than simply clarifying the wording of the clue makes me have even less respect for the website. I guess that's it for the puzzles here.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientia View Post
Yes, I looked at it, but it's nothing but a flimsy rationalization.

Think of it this way... If the pink tattoo and the Pisces tattoo were the same tattoo, it would make no sense to use "neither/nor" in the clue - it would be like saying "Neither Bob nor Bob was the electrician."

It doesn't make sense in terms of normal word use or logic. It's an arbitrary rule.
Hmm, I'm not sure where you're from, but in my region (Ontario, Canada), the given use is understood and accepted.

There are two ways of stating the above; one that is ambiguous and another that is not:
1. A is neither B nor C. (Implied: B is not C.)
2. A is not B or C. (Implied: B may or may not be C.)

#1 is used on the website. Elsewhere, I've seen it written, "A is not B or C (and C is not B)." It's just a different convention than you're used to, but I wouldn't say it's incorrect.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientia View Post
http://www.logic-puzzles.org/game.ph...c8a678d544c076

I ran out of clues to eliminate or fix boxes. I went over the clues multiple times but there weren't any clues for the boxes that were still open. So, I finally tried a hint, but that hint seemed to be a logical contradiction from the clue.

The hint was for clue #7 which is:

7. Neither the jigsaw puzzle with the rustic village theme nor the jigsaw puzzle released in 1982 is the jigsaw puzzle made by Astury.

So obviously:
Astury != rustic village
Astury != 1982

However, the hint stated that from #7 we could assume that rustic village and 1982 were not the same, in other words:
rustic village != 1982

This seems to be a logical error in the puzzle generator.
I must admit that the "nor the" part of the sentence does imply to me that rustic village and 1982 are separate entities

Tags
error