Old 07-16-2017, 09:39 PM

Location: SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of Melbourne in the state of Victoria, Australia
Thumbs up Eating out chinese

Five friends Jessica, Laurie, Mark, Mary, and Sally - decided to eat out at the Wokin China Bowl restaurant. Each ordered by number from the menu a different soup dish and the house special (King Prawn, Roast Pork, Chicken, Bamboo Shoots, Baby Corn, Green Peppers and Onions) in a different sauce. Each meal cost 7.90.

The soup numbers were 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14.
The soups were Chicken and Mushroom, Chicken and Noodle, Chicken and Sweetcorn, Crab and Sweetcorn, and Hot & Sour (Shrimp, Roast Pork).
The house special numbers were 60, 61, 62, 63 and 64.
The house special sauces were Garlic & Chilli, Hoi Sin, Kung Po, Satay, and Szechuan.

The friends, soup numbers, soups, house special numbers, and house special sauces do not necessarily relate to each other in the order listed.

From this information and the following clues can you determine, for each friend, the soup number, the soup, the house special number, and the house special sauce?

1) Mary had number 14 soup and the house special in number 60 sauce.
2) Mark had Chicken and Mushroom soup and the house special in Szechuan sauce which was not number 62.
3) Of the non-chicken soups Laurie had number 12, together with the house special in Satay sauce, and Mary the other.
4) Sally had Chicken and Noodle soup but not with the house special in Garlic & Chilli sauce.
5) Jessica had the house special in number 61 sauce, which was neither Garlic & Chilli nor Kung Po.
6) The house special in Satay sauce was not ordered with the Crab and Sweetcorn soup.
7) The Chicken and Sweetcorn soup was not number 10, nor was the Chicken and Mushroom.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:26 AM

Well, I could be wrong, as I'm not the best at these, but I think we're missing information on 11/13, and 62/63/64

Jessica - 11/13 - Chicken and Sweetcorn - 61 - Hoi Sin
Laurie - 12 - Hot and Sour- 62/63/64 - Satay
Mark - 11/13 - Chicken and Mushroom - 63/64 - Szechuan
Mary - 14 - Crab and Sweetcorn - 60 - Garlic Chili
Sally - 10 - Chicken Noodle - 62/63/64 - Kung Po
Old 07-17-2017, 04:19 PM

Location: SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of Melbourne in the state of Victoria, Australia
Thumbs up

quackduck314

The puzzle can be solved with the information given.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:35 AM

Well, someone else will have to solve it then. I stand by my previous statement that nothing clarifies soup numbers 11&13, or special numbers 62, 63, and 64.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:47 AM

I agree with quackduck. There is definitely not enough information to solve it.

11 and 13 aren't even mentioned in the clues, so there is no way to distinguish between them. Take any valid solution, and switch 11 and 13, and that solution is valid also.

The same goes for 63 and 64.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Thumbs up

quackduck314
uigrad

My apologies. I never took time to read my original post.

It was unsolvable because it was copied and pasted incomplete. Clue 8 was not included.

8) The number 13 soup was not served with the house special in number 63 sauce.

I use the logical solver from
Johannes Singler's Private Website when compiling my puzzles.