Old 03-10-2017, 04:09 PM

Default How Are Points Determined?

I've noticed several instances where I solve a puzzle faster than someone in the comments section, yet earned fewer points. No hints, penalties, etc.

As I see it, (ha, and correct me if I've made a logical error) this must mean either:

1) The commenter was mistaken about their time/points.
2) I was mistaken about my time/points.
3) Points somehow consider other factors besides time, points, and penalties.
4) The scoring system has changed over time (this one seems unlikely, as in at least a couple of these instances, the comment in question was quite recent).

Anyone know how the point-generator works?
Old 03-10-2017, 05:01 PM

Default Changes

The points are based on the top time at the point of each solve. For example, if someone solved it in a record time when it was new, then they would get more points than someone solving it in the same time later once the record time has been lowered. There are plenty of previous threads discussing the scoring system but this part of it is pretty straightforward even if the calculation isn't clear.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:14 PM

Nice. The option I had labeled "unlikely".

Thanks, Jeff. Makes sense.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:24 AM

Someone went to the trouble of figuring out the algorithm used to generate points. http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=270

I think there was another post along the same lines but I didn't find it.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:06 PM

i think that this is the current formula:

http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/s...05&postcount=7

so yes, the points will change not only as the fastest time changes, but as the median time changes as well.

and max points are here:

http://www.logic-puzzles.org/forum/showthread.php?t=351

.bri.

Last edited by brianhh; 03-11-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:54 AM

Yep, that formula still seems to be the one used.

So, really the only things needed to figure out your score are:

1) your time
2) the fastest time
3) the median.

I see a lot of people track how well they do buy recording their time in the comment history on a puzzle. Some go further to record their time and their score.

I used to do that. Sometimes I would solve the same puzzle again, and get a faster time but a lower score. That always used to confuse me.

After figuring out the formula, I know that when that happens, it's either because the fastest time for that puzzle has gotten better or the median for that puzzle has gotten better.

So now, instead of recording my time and my score, I record my time, the fastest time, and the median. If you look through the comment history, you can see how those have changed over time, which affects how many points people get over time.