Old 11-09-2016, 04:10 PM

Default Clear the concept

Hi,

I am stuck in the attached puzzle. Please, help to go further.

Here is the question:
1. The $3.00 animal was red.
2. Of the yellow balloon and the fish, one was purchased by Gayle and the other cost $4.00.
3. The dog wasn't gold.
4. The cat cost 5 dollars more than the orange piece.
5. The bear was either the animal Kathleen bought or the balloon Gayle bought.
6. The seven items were the $7.00 piece, the animal Nancy bought, the fish, the gold balloon, the bear, the turtle and the snail.
7. The animal Nancy bought cost more than the purple animal.
8. The balloon Gayle bought was either the fish or the $7.00 animal.
9. The snail cost more than the balloon Verna bought.
10. The turtle wasn't purchased by William.
11. The piece William bought cost 2 dollars more than the bear.
12. The turtle wasn't purchased by Zachary.
13. The turtle didn't cost $8.00.
14. The bear cost 2 dollars less than the brown balloon.
15. Of the red animal and the $9.00 piece, one was the bear and the other was purchased by Nancy.
Attached Images
File Type: png b1.PNG (42.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by jpsingh; 11-09-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:34 PM

Clue 2: The yellow balloon has to be either Gayle or $4.00. Your grid shows that the yellow balloon cannot be $4.00, so it must be Gayle. So the fish ...

Clue 6: The seven items mentioned have to be in different rows. So none of the non dollar items can be in the $7.00 row. Gold cannot be $7.00.

Clue 9: In your grid, the snail can be $8.00. Verma must be less than that.

That should get you a bit further in the solution. Post again if you get stuck again.

Last edited by zenobia43; 11-09-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:30 PM

First of all thanks for your reply.

Yes, now it is clear. I have missed the clue that you have pointed outed.

I have few more questions to ask you. If you don't mind kindly help me.

In the given question:

Either//Or:
Yellow/fish - Gayle/4
Bear - Kathleen/Gayle
Gayle -Fish/$7.00
Red//$9.00- Bear/Nancy

Negative:
Dog=/= gold
Turtle=/= William
Zachary=/=turtle
turtle=/=$8.00

Greater/lesser:
Cat (5) -> Orange
Nancy -> Purple
Snail -> Turtle
William (2) -> Bear
Brown (2) -> Bear

$7.00, Nancy, Fish, Gold, Bear, Turtle, Snail all are different.

To solve the puzzle I start to look for positive, greater/lesser and negative clues. And, after that again look back for greater or lesser and either/or conditions.

While coming to either/or conditions my thought process goes in this way:
In this case, I take "YELLOW" and check with GAYLE and check for if any conditions are violating. If It violates any condition or no further information is provided then again I look for YELLOW and 4. And, then GAYLE can be FISH/$7.00/YELLOW like that I check every either/or case. Is it the right way ?

How should we question ourselves to answer either/or conditions ? What is the right thought process for either/or conditions ?

Thank you.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:37 AM

Categorizing the clues into their types as you have done is a very good first step.

There are only a handful of clue types found in the entire puzzle library, and recognizing the clue type quickly enables you to ignore the extraneous wording in each clue.

The clue processing sequence you describe is a good one. Some members of this site have mentioned that processing the "multiple negatives" clues is easier when the grid is still relatively empty.

In your example, that would be clue 6.

When you get to the either/or clues, X out the intersections of the object pairs mentioned in the clue immediately.

So for clue 2, X out yellow/fish and Gayle/$4.00 immediately.

For clue 8, X out fish/$7.00.

For clue 5, since Gayle and Kathleen are in the same category, there is no intersection, but five Xs can be added to one of the lower sub-grids.

Then process clue 2 again and check each side for existing positives or negatives. In this example, I would probably check $4.00 first to see if yellow or fish had already been marked. For this type of clue and in this example, if one of the pairs, $4.00/yellow and $4.00/fish, is positive, the other must be negative.

If either $4.00/yellow or $4.00/fish is marked, then the relationship of $4.00 to the other object is also known. Once the relationship of $4.00 to either yellow or fish is known, then the Gayle/yellow and Gayle/fish relationships are known.

If neither of the $4.00/yellow or $4.00/fish intersections is marked, then I would check the Gayle/yellow and Gayle/fish intersections.

Notice that once you have done the checks mentioned above, you don't have to check yellow/Gayle and yellow/$4.00. As you can see, those intersections have already been checked.

I chose to start the checks using the object pair mentioned last because it included an object in the category I consider to be the most important: the ordering category - the one with the labels on the left of the upper left sub-grid. You can start with the object pair mentioned first and get the same result.

There is an excellent tutorial describing most of the solution techniques at http://logic-puzzles.org/how-to-solv...gic-puzzle.php

I hope that helped. The either/or clues can yield even more Xs, and usually, you will need to know how to detect those negative relationships for the more difficult puzzles.

When and if you get stuck on one of the more difficult puzzles, you can check the tutorial, hit the hint button, or post the screen shot again. There are lots of members here willing to help.

Last edited by zenobia43; 11-10-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:58 PM

thank you zen, thanks for your help.

Tags
help suggestions