Go Back   Logic Puzzle Forums > Logic-Puzzles.org Discussion > Questions About Logic-Puzzles.org

Old 11-06-2016, 05:27 PM

Default Is there any difference between after and more or before and less ?

Hi everyone,

I am frequently confused with the terms after and more or before and less.
For example: If A is 2 months after B and A is 2 more than B. Are these both terms conveys the same meaning or is there any difference ?

From the above example:
If A =Jan(1) then B should be March(+2) or Jan + a gap of 2 months in between A and B?
And, if A=1, then B=3(i.e +2). I hope this is correct.
I am really confused with this in almost every puzzle.
I hope I am clear with my examples. Kindly, clear my confusion.

Thank you.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 PM

For example: If A is 2 months after B and A is 2 more than B. Are these both terms conveys the same meaning or is there any difference ?

They are similar but generally before/after apply to time like things (days , times, months, years etc) and more/less to numbers.. then there are the longer/shorter (spelling words ) , taller/shorter (giraffes)

You have your examples backwards . If A is 2 months after B and A=Jan then B would be Nov of the preceding year. (If you want to use numbers for months you will have use modular arithmetic... it's easier to just use a calendar ) Jan is 2 months BEFORE Mar (as well as 10 months after)

Likewise , if A is 2 more than B (A=2+B ) and A=1 then B=-1 (1=2+B, B=1-2=-1)
Old 11-06-2016, 08:04 PM

Thank you mule. Now, my confusion was cleared.

Last edited by jpsingh; 11-07-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:11 AM

There was a discussion a while back where the admin says that stuff like this is worded differently sometimes just to make it sound less like a computer generated puzzle. It was long ago enough that I don't think I could find it now.

There are times this adds a small amount of difficulty. But, it's something that everyone has to deal with, so it's fair. It's kind of like the "waiting for the submit button to animate" before you press it. Everyone has to wait for it, so it's fair.

Tags
help suggestions