Go Back   Logic Puzzle Forums > Logic-Puzzles.org Discussion > Comments, Bugs and Feature Requests

Old 03-25-2017, 11:14 AM

Default Am I the Only One That Doesn't Care for the Timer?

I don't understand what the big deal is about being able to solve a logic puzzle in 124 seconds. What is the rush? Are we going to have to solve a puzzle in order to defuse a bomb?

Personally, I do these puzzles to relax. I'm not in a hurry, and I usually have more than one thing going on a time. It's just one browser tab out of many, LOL. Sometimes I fall asleep in the middle of one and finish the next day. So my times are horrible.

So what is it? What makes you want to get the fastest time? Do you get some kind of prize? Or is it a personal satisfaction to know you have the fastest, smartest brain?
Old 03-25-2017, 09:44 PM

It's one of those things where you can compete for a fast time if you would like to. You don't need to try and beat a time if you don't want to, but the option is there for people that want to challenge themselves. I watch TV while I'm doing them, so I'm not very fast. On the other hand, people can race the clock if they would like to. Just do your own thing! Nobody is telling you how to enjoy these puzzles!

Have fun! Nobody is judging you for your time!
Old 03-26-2017, 05:31 AM

I don't much care about the timer, either; my main care being able to logic through the puzzle without making errors.
Often I am doing puzzles while watching television, cooking, or waiting to fall asleep. If I get interrupted or am too sleepy to finish, then I just save the game for later. As such, my complete times can be in the tens of thousands of seconds!
So use the puzzles as you like. I can't get excited about beating times either--to do so I'd have to keep some database of games I'd completed and cheat by quickly looking up answers, which would ruin the fun. I'm happy enough just to be average.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:50 PM

Hi, I don't care to be timed and am rather hard of thinking so play without logging in - don't want to spoil the stats - but I wonder if i'm missing anything by not logging in
Old 03-26-2017, 02:27 PM

Glad to hear I'm not alone!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri1001 View Post
Hi, I don't care to be timed and am rather hard of thinking so play without logging in - don't want to spoil the stats - but I wonder if i'm missing anything by not logging in
Off the top of my head, the only thing that I can think of that you might lose out on is being able to save the grid game state in case something crashes.

I've also had a few times when a browser hijack ad interrupted my game, and it wasn't saved so I couldn't finish--made me mad.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 AM

I like the timer because it helps me to improve my solving. When I first began I rarely scored average, whereas now I can often get a record broken a couple times during the day. And I wouldn't even know how to cheat. Each game is always played from scratch. I'm sure a lot of others are like me too.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:45 AM

Nope, not a fan of the timer either but I don't let it get to me. It's just another screen I have to click through to get to the next puzzle. Seems like the ones I get quickly are extremely similar (or the same even) to ones I have done before. If you read the backstory and goal and then the clues, you have already used up 30 seconds. I just do them to make my mind sharper. Also, sometimes I find that I have solved the puzzle but not used the grids across the top - just the bottom and the system forces me to enter those same answers in the top sections of the grids. That takes more time which eats up the clock as well. So, no, not a fan.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:31 AM

I enjoy racing the clock. It makes it fun for me. IF it doesn't do anything for you, I suggest you ignore it because racing is the opposite of relaxing for a lot of people.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:36 AM

I like the racing too. In fact, I wish that in addition to the monthly contests for the most points overall (which can have more to do with how much time you have to devote to this per day) there were also monthly (or overall) contests for fastest times for each puzzle.