Old 03-09-2017, 02:48 PM

Default Can someone please explain this hint?

I have read this over and over in my head and I don't understand this hint. Could someone please explain this? Thanks so much!

Old 03-09-2017, 03:06 PM

It's a very similar case to one of the tutorials:

http://logic-puzzles.org/how-to-solv...unaligned-pair

In the tutorial example, you know that blue is $55, so it seems a little bit different than your example, but that isn't important for understanding the transitive stuff (which is explained in slides 4-7).

If you can understand slides 4-7 on that page, then you'll be able to understand the clue in your example.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uigrad View Post
It's a very similar case to one of the tutorials:

http://logic-puzzles.org/how-to-solv...unaligned-pair

In the tutorial example, you know that blue is $55, so it seems a little bit different than your example, but that isn't important for understanding the transitive stuff (which is explained in slides 4-7).

If you can understand slides 4-7 on that page, then you'll be able to understand the clue in your example.
Thank you so much! I wasn't sure what to call it so I couldn't look it up anywhere else! Much appreciated!!
Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 AM

I don't know if it helps or not, but from what I've been able to tell, sometimes the clues refer more to points in a finished puzzle which doesn't really help when you don't have it solved. It doesn't help that they're worded very confusingly as well. I'm dyslexic and end up not paying attention to the clues because the way they're written mean nothing to me.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:25 AM

I have seen this hint a few times but I truly cannot wrap my head around it mainly because it mentions Rilania which isn't in clue #2. Because of this I can't complete some puzzles. The unaligned pairs slides are not helping for me. A different explanation please. I am sorry for being so daft.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:19 PM

From your current grid state, Rilania cannot be 1921.

Clue #2 says that 19 must be paired with either Verturu or 1921. Can either one of these be paired with Rilania?

Verturu cannot be Rilania (same category), and neither can 1921 (your current grid state). Therefore, 19 cannot be Rilania.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:46 AM

loofadawg -- the part about Rilania comes from clue #6, which says that Rilania's piece was painted before one of the other paintings. That means that Rilania can't be 1921 -- 1921 is the latest year, so there'd be no room for a later painting.

Once you know that, you can look again at clue #2. 19 has to be either Verturu or 1921, so if you can find something that's definitely NEITHER Verturu or 1921, you know it also isn't the one that's been missing 19 years. Of course, Rilania can't be Verturu. From clue #6, we also know Rilania didn't paint their piece in 1921. So Rilania can't be the one that's been missing 19 years! Make sense?
Old 10-23-2017, 08:28 AM

I've come up with a method to scan those without having to think it through.

Take the clue "Of cat and New York, one is orange and the other is Sam".

I will do the following:

cat NOT New York: Scan the cat column/row and note all the choices marked as impossible EXCEPT do not include New York in that group. Mark those same choices as impossible in the orange and Sam columns/rows. Do not use a square marked as proven correct, only those marked as proven impossible.

Repeat for New York NOT cat: This time scanning the New York column/row for all items proven incorrect EXCEPT cat. Mark those same choices as impossible in the orange and Sam columns/rows.

Repeat now as Orange NOT Sam, substituting into the cat/New York column/rows, and then finally (you get it now) Sam NOT orange, substituting into the cat/New York column/rows.

Once you do it once or twice you get the pattern down, it is quite easy.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:20 AM

Brilliant. If I can come up with a real life example I will make some slides showing it in action. If anyone has any "on hand" from an actual puzzle where we can recreate this I would love to use it for my slides. I will post the finished results in the forum somewhere.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpboy View Post
I've come up with a method to scan those without having to think it through.

Take the clue "Of cat and New York, one is orange and the other is Sam".

I will do the following:

cat NOT New York: Scan the cat column/row and note all the choices marked as impossible EXCEPT do not include New York in that group. Mark those same choices as impossible in the orange and Sam columns/rows. Do not use a square marked as proven correct, only those marked as proven impossible.

Repeat for New York NOT cat: This time scanning the New York column/row for all items proven incorrect EXCEPT cat. Mark those same choices as impossible in the orange and Sam columns/rows.

Repeat now as Orange NOT Sam, substituting into the cat/New York column/rows, and then finally (you get it now) Sam NOT orange, substituting into the cat/New York column/rows.

Once you do it once or twice you get the pattern down, it is quite easy.
I am trying to apply this but maybe I am not understanding this properly. What happens to me is I end up marking something false that really should be marked true.

I understand how the a similar method works when the puzzle has a true component (the slides explain that one easy enough: if a=b and b not equal to c then a not equal to c") but the "of a and b one is c and one is d" trips me up.

Could somebody show a puzzle before and after when this is applied the way Carpboy explained it. I am a sad stupid Loofa