Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpboy View Post
I've come up with a method to scan those without having to think it through.

Take the clue "Of cat and New York, one is orange and the other is Sam".

I will do the following:

cat NOT New York: Scan the cat column/row and note all the choices marked as impossible EXCEPT do not include New York in that group. Mark those same choices as impossible in the orange and Sam columns/rows. Do not use a square marked as proven correct, only those marked as proven impossible.

Repeat for New York NOT cat: This time scanning the New York column/row for all items proven incorrect EXCEPT cat. Mark those same choices as impossible in the orange and Sam columns/rows.

Repeat now as Orange NOT Sam, substituting into the cat/New York column/rows, and then finally (you get it now) Sam NOT orange, substituting into the cat/New York column/rows.

Once you do it once or twice you get the pattern down, it is quite easy.
I am trying to apply this but maybe I am not understanding this properly. What happens to me is I end up marking something false that really should be marked true.

I understand how the a similar method works when the puzzle has a true component (the slides explain that one easy enough: if a=b and b not equal to c then a not equal to c") but the "of a and b one is c and one is d" trips me up.

Could somebody show a puzzle before and after when this is applied the way Carpboy explained it. I am a sad stupid Loofa